Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Lofty Thoughts

Well, receiving beds is the theme this week, as time has further unfolded! Our neighbor Stacia came over and told us that they are getting her son a new bed and wanted to give Tim their old one--a bed I've seen at Ikea, and considered buying a couple of years ago (at near retail) at a garage sale. Wow!
When we moved into this house, I had a dream, you might say, of replacing all our couches with hide-a-beds and futons; putting bunk beds in any spare spots; and here we could host a host of happy guests in the case of some onslaught of Masters' Chorale or such populations coming through as might need hospitality. (As reality would have it, so far, I struggle to keep up housekeeping with just four of us, and often dread the idea that a visitor might find out that we're incurable messies...still, a person can dream, can't she?) There's something I love about adding to the bed possibilities here! And I know Tim will love to have some extra space in his bedroom to not throw his clothes on the floor...
The only potential problem with this bed is that it is one of those that perches up high so you can put a desk in underneath. Tim has been doing some interesting walking in his sleep lately--at least once actually running down the stairs in his sleep, yelling, "I'm coming! I'm coming!" The other day he was standing in front of his closet, yelling, "Where is it? Where is it?" I'm not sure what has so stirred him to bring this new pattern. Whatever, I think maybe a bunk-type environment might be fraught for the present with a certain amount of danger. I picture one of those cartoon scenes where Bugs Bunny is running suspended in mid-air. It would seem like a gentler drop than reality, until you think of the next scene with a bunny-shaped canyon at the base of it.
Still, what kid wouldn't want to try it out? Do I set it up and hope for the best? Do I leave it unassembled for a while and see if the walking subsides? Tune in next week for answers, keeping up on the changes among...the young, and the restless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, ya know a shriner clown does live next door to you, perhaps he can rig up some fancy circus safety netting? :-) Or perhaps Tim can sleep in a mountain climbing harness, or maybe his superman outfit :-)

The Resident Writer said...

That's what I was going to suggest.

NeverAlone said...

Why didn't I think of that?