Saturday, July 05, 2008

All in a Day's Work, it's a Good Feeling

Today's been a really good day. For one thing, I woke up to the birds all singing, all glad because they lived through the great terror of July 4 one more time! And because I'd done a bunch of cooking yesterday for our huge church celebration, I had a huge cleanup to do today (it would have been impossible to do the cooking and the cleaning and go to the party our church had and all the rest of the stuff we did)...so I got that done and got set to do a little cooking again. Well, before I could cook, we took Katie to Red Robin to work and then went to Costco to buy flooring for our closet--the first of many floor projects. (It was on sale, and we want to make sure we can do it well before we buy enough for much of our main floor.) Then to Freddies for groceries, where Gary also bought a bike on sale; he's the last one to get one, and now we'll go biking more often (that is the theory). And then home to cook.
So I got my cooking projects done. Gary mowed the lawn and then he and Tim went off to a baseball game. (I would have gone if they insisted, but when I said I'd stay home so I could go get Katie if she called, they didn't argue! They know I would be near clueless about the game anyway.) It's a men's night out, a mom's night in, and we all are happy--well, I hope Katie is!
Then I set to sewing. Now I have a whole new skirt that I made all this afternoon, and I am so happy with how it turned out. It's not perfect, but it's much fun! I think that in getting older, having more time is the compensation for having less energy or more aches and pains...I'm having more fun with projects than I ever used to, taking them on because I want to instead of because so many are facing me and I must do them. Well, I must do some of them, but it's not so bad.
And then tomorrow we get to go to church, and our Pastor Ken and his wife Kit are back from sabbatical! We did very well for the months that they were gone, but it will be so nice for all of us to have church as usual again. (At least, nice for all of us; not sure how Pastor feels about it!) Life is good. God is great! But then, we knew that.

No comments: