Saturday, April 01, 2006

Improving Every Minute

While on the One28 ministry snow retreat, Pastor Sean delivered messages regarding Jonathan Edwards. Sean gave us all copies of JE's resolutions, and I remember one that particularly appealed to me (though perhaps I should try most with those that least suit me) was regarding trying to improve every minute to God's glory, at least that's the gist of it. And by general habit I think I do, though too often I get carried away with something trivial when there are other things that would improve the moment better.
Today, with flu in the house, homeschooling Chemistry took a back seat and other things like sleep, coughing and watching movies took its place since Chemistry takes alertness and concentration. Tonight I thought that it would be good to have at least a mental list of things that would best improve the time we're in, according to our abilities at the time, so that we could be addressing those things and not becoming slackers.
At any time prayer and Bible study would obviously be among the top items. Also serving one another, and providing for the needs of family (in my case, homeschooling, cooking, and cleaning house are central), fulfilling obligations to others (to students that might include getting school work done, though it's also an obligation to themselves), and providing for one's own needs (including exercise, which I too rarely fit in).
Once those things are done, at least in my case, I'm tired and I need to find things that can be done at a lower energy level so I can return to the more active roles. When I am tired, communicating with others, planning, reading helpful books, and doing paperwork might be what work for me; also blogging.
Anyway, the list can go on and on, and I'm sure it's different for everyone. Pretty much every minute is busy for me most days, and still I don't get everything done--but I like the challenge of that. I can see even from just a practical sense, since time is precious and seems to go by so fast, why JE resolved to use his time well. It would be wonderful to have been able to hear him talk about his ideas for improving the time; I might not even be considering some of the better things that he would be appalled at my omitting.
For example, even as I looked up this Bible text to get it right, I realized one more priority that I'm sure would have appalled JE not to have specified on my original list: sharing the gospel with unbelievers. I don't know many who do much of that, and it's sad to think I left it out of my list. That's a confession I'm ashamed to make.
Ephesians 5:15-16 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.

No comments: