Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Good Name...

Tonight I was reading a blog that had to do with naming a baby and which had 118 comments--I guess naming a baby is something that is sure to get a lot of input from everywhere! It brings me back to when we were naming Tim. (Katie reminds me, "I came up with it." Bravo!) We pondered the possibility of Peter and Roger, but with the name "Abbott" we wouldn't have the desired effect. (Try them out for a laugh!)
Naming Katie, my husband Gary and I (now she can't claim credit; except she, laughing, says, "It was telepathic!") pondered various names and he didn't like any that I suggested--until I mentioned Katie. "Yeah!" he responded, enthusiastically--which made me wonder what mark some Katie had made in his life to bring such a response. :O) Still don't know, but I like it well enough.
A name is such an important lifelong handle to hang on a person. It can be a trial or a blessing, an implication of character. If it is hard to spell or pronounce it can be an annoyance. I thought "Katherine" or "Katie" would be straightforward and no one would ever need to ask how to spell it. I was wrong! There are many variations and people tend to Cadee-ize it to some extent or another. Whatever.
One of the commenters on that blog said one of their rules was to keep the name a secret until the baby was born. I think that's a good idea; then you don't provoke 118 advisors before the baby's even born.
A good name is to be more desired than great wealth,Favor is better than silver and gold. Proverbs 22:1

2 comments:

Tony Kevin said...

Ok so first, I love the font-size change. Very nice.

Second of all, I'm just glad my name isn't one that that has two first names in it... wait... mine does... stink.

I love my name!

The Resident Writer said...

On a missions trip to Mexico, I decided that if I ever had a baby girl (the only acceptable kind of baby in my opinion), her name would be Maria Rosita Conchita. Never mind that I'm white as can be, I like the name. (And over the course of a few years, I've decided that baby boys are just fine!)